Jan 15, 2021
AJS 270 - Community Relations
Description: Recognition and understanding of community problems; community action programs; methods of coping with crisis situations, victimology, ethnic and minority cultures, environments, crime prevention and police operations.
- Historical perspectives
- The justice community
- Contrast between public and community relations
- Psychological factors affecting police-community relations
- Police role concept in a changing society
- Coping with the human experience of being a cop
- Police professionalism and PCR
- The communication process
- Blocks to effective communication
- Selective enforcement and community relations
- The media link
- The young, the elderly and the police
- Community relations in the context of culture
- Dilemmas of dissent and political response
- Conflict management
- Community control: a continuum of participation
- Innovations and programs for the future
- Understand police-community relations in principle and practice.
- Identify and analyze specific problems which relate to police-community relations and seek possible solutions.
- Question and explore community relations from differing perspectives.
- Recognize diverse social and personal needs of individuals and groups in modern society.