ART 115 - Color Pencil/Pastel
Description: Color pencils and pastels as medium for drawing and painting. Emphasis on development of creative expression and study of color blending. Application of design principles.
Prerequisites: ART 110
- Study of technical skills
a. Application of the color stick
1. Strokes: linear, side, crosshatching
2. Blending, blending with tortillon
3. Feathering and scumbling
4. Use of hard pastels and pastel pencils
b. Application of fixing mediums
1. Fixatif sprays
2. Wetting down the brush
c. Use of supports
1. Experimenting with various types of papers and boards
2. Use of toned papers, applying underpaintings
3. Making a support with marble dust
d. Use of other media in combination with pastels
2. Underpainting in turpentine and oil washes, tempera and watercolor washes
e. Correctional techniques
1. Razor blade
2. Bristle brush
f. Finishing--mat work for display
- Study of drawing and painting procedures
1. Adding lights and darks to toned grounds, working with values and masses
2. Working light over dark to achieve richness of tone
3. Open strokes over underpainting to achieve richness of tone
4. Use of vignette
- Development of drawing and painting skills
a. Study of composition
1. Visually organizing ideas
2. Use of balance, rhythms
3. Points of emphasis
4. Movement of color, lines
b. Study of color
1. Properties of color
2. Light and atmospheric effects
3. Color relationships in overpainting and in blending
c. Study of form and shapes
2. Modeling of forms
d. Study of space and perspective
1. Diminution of size, overlapping
2. Aerial perspective
- Application of principles and elements of design
- Historical and contemporary art examples
- Demonstrate and understand the use of color theory.
- Demonstrate the ability to manipulate colors.
- Demonstrate various methods of applying the color stick, of underpainting methods, and of preparing a ground.
- Combine other media in combination with colored pencils and pastels.
- Develop a personal mode of expression.
- Identify, analyze and utilize the formal elements and principles of design.
- Recognize historical or contemporary examples of the fine arts or crafts.
- Use media specific terminology to critique and evaluate works of art.
- Critique and evaluation of art and artifacts.