ART 242 - Lapidary II
Description: Advanced techniques using specialized lapidary tools to create cabochons from rare materials. Application of design principles.
Prerequisites: ART 142
- Equipment use and safety
- Rare material identification
- Specialized cutting techniques for rare materials
- Formal elements and principles of design
- Historical and contemporary art examples
- Use tools and equipment safely.
- Identify raw materials suitable for various and specific manipulations and alterations.
- Cut specialized rare materials.
a. Textured structure stones.
b. Matched pairs.
c. Opal, fire agate, and jade.
- Identify, analyze and utilize the formal elements and principles of design.
- Recognize historical or contemporary examples of the fine arts or crafts.
- Use media specific terminology to critique and evaluate works of art.
- Critique and evaluation of art and artifacts.