CHM 196 - Directed Research: Chemistry
Description: Faculty or mentor directed student research in an area of current scientific investigation culminating in a final report, paper, or presentation. Students will work in the lab or in the field to gain the intellectual, technical, and practical skills necessary to further the knowledge base in an area of scientific investigation with the objective of contributing to the professional body of scientific knowledge.
- Safety training relevant to the research area
- Introduction to concepts and central themes in the research area
- Methods of inquiry
- Instrumental and laboratory methods and techniques
- Data analysis and presentation
- Written communication of research results
- Oral communication of research results
- Use the tools, equipment, and instrumentation relevant to the research area to gather scientific information. (1-4)
- Maintain a permanent and timely record of research progress and results. (5-7)
- Communicate the scope and detail of the project to others through written and verbal presentations. (6, and 7)
*There may be additional outcomes as appropriate to the specific research area. (1-7)
- Professional laboratory notebook, including a log of research hours. Written, audio-visual, or verbal presentation of research outcomes.