Oct 19, 2021
CHM 236L - General Organic Chemistry II Lab CHM 2236.
Description: Additional techniques in organic chemistry; preparation, separation and identification of organic compounds.
Prerequisites: CHM 236 (may be taken concurrently) and CHM 235L
- Preparation of homophthalic acid
- The Wittig reaction
- Synthesis and resolutionary--phenylethylamine
- Acetoacetic ester and malonic ester synthesis
- Sandmeyer reaction
- Beckmann rearrangement; benzylic acid rearrangement
- Crossed aldo condensation
- Individual project
- Demonstrate laboratory techniques including steam and vacuum distillation, thin layer chromatography, vapor phase chromatography, photochemical reaction techniques.
- Demonstrate ability to complete multi-step synthesis.
- Demonstrate ability to resolve enantiomers.
- Demonstrate ability to plan, design and complete and individual project in either synthesis a natural product and purification.