Oct 26, 2021
CRW 139 - Introduction to Creative Writing
Description: Techniques in writing, evaluating, and critiquing poetry, fiction and creative non-fiction. Includes writing a documented analysis.
Prerequisites: ENG 100 or COM 135 or satisfactory score on the English skill assessment. Reading Proficiency.
- Analysis of literary and student texts
- Elements of poetry (e.g. specific language, imagery, sound devices)
- Elements of fiction and creative non-fiction (e.g. plot, viewpoint, characterization)
- Methods of critiquing and revising
- Workshop methodology for creative writing
- Sources and documentation
- Analyze and evaluate literary and student texts. (1-5)
- Identify and apply poetic elements (e.g. specific language, imagery, sound devices) (1,2)
- Identify and apply elements of fiction and creative non-fiction (e.g. plot, viewpoint, characterization). (1,3)
- Critique and revise personal writing. (4)
- Use workshop process. (5)
- Apply research methods and effectively integrate, synthesize and document sources in written work. (1-6)