May 27, 2022
EMS 120 - Basic First Aid, CPR and AED
Description: First Aid for victims of all ages. Includes basic recognition and care of medical and trauma patients. Awareness of environmental emergencies including bites, stings, and exposure to hot and cold. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External defibrillator (AED) use. Meets the requirements of Heartsaver First Aid by the American Heart Association.
- Scene safety for the responder, patient and others
- General principles of patient assessment and providing first aid
- Basic wound care
- Basic CPR/AED for the lay rescuer
- Environmental emergencies including: bites, stings, heat and cold
- Manage scene safety including personal protective equipment in the workplace. (1,2)
- Manage unresponsive adult or child. (4)
- Apply steps of wound care including, but not limited to: bleeding control management and splinting swollen/deformed extremities. (3)
- Perform CPR on an adult and use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) to defibrillate an adult if needed. (4)
- Show steps of care for the patient suffering from environmental emergencies. (5)
- Hands-on practical manikin testing and a written test required at the completion of the course. A score of 84% or better required to become certified.