Sep 19, 2021
ENG 140 - Reading Across the Curriculum
Description: Develop academic reading and critical thinking strategies. Focus on improving reading comprehension, information literacy, and vocabulary.
Prerequisites: ENG 100 or higher level composition (may be taken concurrently) or satisfactory score on the English skills assessment. Reading Proficiency.
- Strategies to improve comprehension
- Strategies for summarizing, analyzing, evaluating, and synthesizing texts
- Basic research, including evaluating and utilizing sources
- Effective questioning and problem-solving methods for exploring issues
- Vocabulary building techniques and development
- Strategies for approaching texts in a variety of subject areas
- Apply critical thinking skills before, during, and after reading to improve comprehension. (1)
- Analyze and summarize aspects of a text, including the author's credibility, purpose, assumptions, bias, and logic. (2)
- Apply information literacy strategies. (3)
- Construct pertinent questions and create effective solutions to text analysis and research problems, with the understanding that closure is not always reached.(4)
- Develop and expand college-level vocabulary. (5)
- Demonstrate comprehension of texts from a variety of disciplines. (6)