Jun 27, 2022
ENG 230 - Introduction to Literature
Description: Introduction to close reading and writing about a variety of works of literature from different genres.
Prerequisites: ENG 101 or ENG 103 . Reading Proficiency.
- Formal attributes of literary texts
- Close reading
- Literary criticism
- Meanings and etymologies of English words
- Contextual influences on works of literature
- Scholarly research and documentation
- Rhetorical strategies
- Surface features
- Define key terms and give examples of literary devices in a variety of works of literature. (1, 3)
- Identify and compare works from a variety of genres. (2, 3)
- Discuss various approaches to literary criticism and apply their methods to works of literature. (4, 3)
- Analyze how language contributes to the meaning of a work of literature. (5)
- Determine and analyze the contextual (social, cultural, political, historical) influences on works of literature. (6, 7)
- Conduct scholarly research. (7)
- Document sources in MLA style. (7)
- Determine the relationships between and among audience, text, and author in a variety of genres and texts, and employ rhetorical strategies in critical writing about texts. (8)
- Apply conventions of standard written English. (9)
- Demonstrate thoughtful and precise writing skills by completing at least 2500 words of monitored writing.