Nov 29, 2021
HUM 243 - History of Film
Description: Historical and critical survey of the development of world cinema as an art form, as a system of communication, and as an industry from its invention to the present day. How films work technically, aesthetically, and culturally to create, reinforce, challenge, comment on or change social, political or aesthetic norms.
Prerequisites: ENG 101 or ENG 103 . Reading Proficiency.
- The development of film as a communication medium and art form
- The development of key world film industries seen in their historic, geographic and political contexts
- Film genres and vocabulary
- Film analysis and critique
- Film as a medium for social, political or aesthetic commentary
- Identify the key world film industries and artists and their contribution to world cinema. (2)
- Use the basic technical and critical vocabulary of motion pictures. (3)
- Analyze the relationship between the technologies of cinema, film aesthetics and visual communication. (1)
- Classify genres, and analyze and critique films within their geographic, historical and stylistic contexts. (1-5)
- Analyze the ways films have been used to promote, counter or comment on political, social and artistic movements. (1-5)
- Demonstrate thoughtful and precise writing skills by completing at least 2500 words of monitored writing.