Jul 06, 2020
PHY 111 - General Physics I PHY 1111.
Description: Topics include: time and motion studies, forces on stationary and moving objects, waves and sound, heat and energy. Designed for architecture, forestry, pre-med, pre-vet, pharmacy and education students.
Prerequisites: MAT 187 . Reading Proficiency.
- Conservation of energy and momentum
- Rotational mechanics
- Gravitational and astronomical laws
- Waves, sound, simple harmonic motion
- Heat and energy
- Evaluate qualitatively and quantitatively the kinematics and dynamics of constant velocity motion, constant acceleration motion, projectile motion, uniform circular motion, rotational motion, collisions and explosions, simple harmonic motion, and basic wave phenomena. (1-7)
- Apply Newton's laws to physical problems. (3-7)
- Apply conservation laws to physical problems. (4,5)
- State the laws of thermodynamics and apply them to basic situations. (8)
- Use scientific reasoning to evaluate physical and natural phenomena. (1-8)
- Identify the unifying themes of the scientific field of study. (1-8)
- Interpret the numerical and/or graphical presentation of scientific data. (1-8)
- Use the tools and equipment necessary for basic scientific analysis and research. (1-8)
- Record the results of investigation through writing. (1-8)