Oct 26, 2020
SOC 250 - Social Problems SOC 2250.
Description: A sociological exploration of selected social problems. Emphasis on social issues.
Prerequisites: Reading Proficiency.
- definition of social problems
- research methods for studying social problems
- Problems of inequality (gender, race, class, etc)
- social class and poverty
- race and ethnic inequality
- gender inequality
- other (e.g., inequality based on age, sexual orientation)
- Institutional problems
- health care: problems of physical & mental illness
- problems in education
- the changing family
- Selected topics (optional)
- prostitution, pornography & the sex industry
- alcohol & other drugs
- crime & criminal justice
- population, urban, problems and the environmental crisis
- global social problems: war & terrorism
- Propose sociological approaches to social issues in society.
- Review methods for collecting sociological data.
- Examine the social nature of inequality (gender, race, class, etc).
- Investigate the diverse types of inequality found in the American social class system, including possible solutions.
- Analyze selected social problems from an institutional perspective, including possible solutions.
1. Demonstrate thoughtful and precise writing and thinking skills by completing at least 1500 words of monitored writing.