May 11, 2021
THR 135 - Introduction to the Theater THE 1100.
Description: Development of theatre in Europe and America from ancient Greece to present. Integrated approach to theatre including playwriting, architecture, acting, production and criticism, particularly in historical settings.
Prerequisites: ENG 101 or ENG 103 . Reading Proficiency.
- Overview: theatre crafts--acting, directing, playwriting, and design
- Foundations: magic, dance, ritual, religion
- Theatre history: Greek, Roman, Medieval, Renaissance and Shakespeare, Social Theatre, Romantic, Realistic, and Contemporary
- Connections to society, economy, and other arts
- Theater analysis and critique
- Classify historical and stylistic concepts and artifacts of the theater. (1-3)
- Analyze historical, religious, economic and cultural influences on the development of theater as an art form. (2-4)
- Examine and critically analyze significant and representative dramatic productions. (1, 5)
- Identify, compare and critique major contributors and contributions to theater. (3, 4)
Demonstrate thoughtful and precise writing skills by completing at least 1500 words of monitored writing.