Oct 19, 2021
NSG 280 - Professional Nursing Concepts
Description: Concepts associated with professional comportment and the meaning of the identity of nursing as a profession. Skills and techniques for entering the healthcare profession as a registered nurse. Consideration given to current trends in the job market. Includes career search, employment considerations, and primary aspects of obtaining employment. Techniques to generate a resume and cover letter, and prepare for the interviewing process. Develops interviewing skills. Provides an introduction to principles of management and leadership. Explores competencies necessary to succeed in a nursing leadership role in various healthcare settings. Incorporates and integrates the competencies of nursing knowledge to include patient centered care, teamwork and collaboration, evidence-based practice, quality improvement, safety, and informatics.
Prerequisites: NSG 240
- Principles of nursing care related to attributes and roles of a professional nurse (professionalism, clinical judgment, leadership, ethics, patient education, and health promotion).
- Principles of nursing care related to care competencies (communication, collaboration, safety, technology and informatics, evidence, and health care quality).
- Principles of nursing care related to health care delivery (care coordination, caregiving, and palliation).
- Principles of nursing care related to health care infrastructures (health care organizations, health care economics, health policy, and health care law).
- Patient-Centered Care - Analyze challenges facing healthcare that impact the delivery of nursing care. Contrast legal, political, regulatory, and economic factors that influence the delivery of patient care (1-4).
- Teamwork and Collaboration - Differentiate the influences of healthcare agencies and professional organizations on nursing practice through incorporating the principles of leadership and management (supervision, delegation, and coordination) in providing nursing care (1-4).
- Evidence-Based Practice - Incorporate the use of nursing research and evidence-based practice into nursing care (1-4).
- Quality Improvement - Examine nursing and other healthcare professions as component parts of care systems and care processes that affect outcomes for patient and families (1-4).
- Safety - Use national patient safety resources to increase professional development and to focus attention on safety across care settings (1-4).
- Informatics - Employ communication technologies to coordinate patient care (1-4).