Oct 26, 2021
AJS 240 - The Correction Function
Description: History and development of correctional theories, practices, and institutions. Modern ideologies and functions associated with both communitybased and custodial corrections systems.
- Overview of the criminal justice process
- Evolution of corrections
- Supreme Court decisions related to the corrections system
- Goals and philosophies related to the treatment of offenders
- Alternatives to incarceration
- Correctional institutions
- Capital punishment
- Special problems related to the correctional system
- Identify the three components of the criminal justice system and explain the role corrections plays within the system.
- Summarize the historical development of the correction function within the criminal justice system.
- Analyze the effect of Supreme Court decisions on the correctional system.
- Name the generally accepted goals of corrections and explain the philosophies which led to the development of these goals.
- Trace the historical development of probation, describe the function of probation, and identify alternatives to incarceration.
- Identify and describe the organization of various types of correctional institutions and explain the management of each.
- Outline the differences between parole and probation and describe the appropriate circumstances under which each is used.
- Discuss issues related to capital punishment: history, laws, philosophies, and public opinion.
- Identify and discuss problems and issues related to the modern correctional system.