Apr 22, 2021
ENG 242 - Introduction to Shakespeare
Description: Survey of selected works of William Shakespeare's literature from multiple genres of plays, poems, and sonnets.
Prerequisites: ENG 101 or ENG 103. Reading Proficiency.
- Characteristic elements of literature (theme, figurative language, characterization) and introduction to genres (tragedies, comedies, histories, sonnets, poems)
- Tools and methods of literary criticism and scholarly research
- Geographical, historical, and social influences on Shakespeare's literature including issues of race, gender, class, ethnicity, and sexuality
- Universal themes in Shakespeare's literature
- Adaptations and performances of Shakespeare's work (live theater or film)
- Define key literary terms, and apply them to the study of selected works of Shakespeare's literature including genres of plays (tragedies, histories, and comedies), poems, and sonnets. (1)
- Apply the tools and methods of literary criticism and scholarly research to selected works of Shakespeare's literature. (2)
- Discuss and analyze historical, political, economic, religious and social influences of Shakespeare, including issues of race, gender, class, ethnicity, and sexuality. (3)
- Identify universal themes in Shakespeare's literature. (4)
- Analyze possible interpretations of text through reading and viewing plays. (5)
1. Demonstrate thoughtful and precise writing skills by completing at least 2500 words of monitored writing.