Apr 23, 2021
MAT 187 - Precalculus MAT 1187.
Description: Topics from college algebra and trigonometry essential to the study of calculus and analytic geometry. Includes linear, quadratic, polynomial, rational, exponential, circular, and trigonometric functions, trigonometry, systems of equations, and matrices. Note: Computer use and graphing calculator required (TI-83/84 recommended). Duplicate credit for MAT 152 and MAT 187 will not be awarded.
Prerequisites: MAT 097 or a satisfactory score on the mathematics skills assessment.
- Linear functions
- Nonlinear functions including quadratic, polynomial, rational, exponential and logarithmic functions
- Systems of equations in three variables
- Nonlinear systems of equations
- Use definitions and operations associated with functions, including inverses, combinations, and compositions. (1,3
- Represent and interpret functions in a variety of ways; numeric, symbolic, graphic, and verbal. (1-5)
- Solve equations and systems using a variety of techniques including symbolic and graphical. (1-5)
- Graph basic functions and use translations to reflect changes made to basic functions. (1, 3, 7)
- Apply mathematics in context and model real situations using mathematics. (1-4,6)
- Apply trigonometric properties and identities. (3)