Apr 01, 2023
AHS 296 - Internship: Allied Health Services
Description: Supervised field experience with businesses, corporations, government agencies, schools and community organizations to expand career interests and apply subject knowledge relevant to the workplace. Individualized internship placements to develop personal and professional skills, including professional ethics, leadership, and civic responsibility. [Repeatable for a total of 6 credit hours toward degree/certificate requirements.] S/U grading only.
Prerequisites: Must have a GPA of 2.0; have completed specific degree requirements as required by the program; and have completed the internship application process.
- Organizational overview of assigned placement
- Integration of job description and organization's requirements
- Elements of documentation of experience
- Planning and time management
- Professional, legal, and ethical issues
- Communication, critical thinking, and problem solving
- Specialized equipment, tools, and software required in the placement
- Exhibit appropriate workplace behaviors and professional ethics.
- Apply discipline specific knowledge and skills in the professional workplace.
- Define and utilize technical terms in written and oral communications.
- Use critical thinking, problem solving, ethical awareness, and effective writing.
- Interpret written and oral instructions.
- Initiate and complete assigned responsibilities.
- Maintain documentation required to comply with government employer or nonprofit agency regulations.
- Use specialized equipment, software, and tools as required.
- Analyze and interpret data for specified reports.
- Identify opportunities for improvement in process and documentation related to the workplace.
- Articulate job description and position in assigned organization.
- Record of Student Internship workplace hours.
- Individual Education Plan (IEP) as approved by supervision faculty.
- A daily journal, or work log of tasks, including dates, descriptive comments, problems and solutions.
- A reflective paper or project as specified by the supervision faculty.
- A minimum of two evaluations by the workplace employer or supervisor.
- Student's self-evaluation of experience.