Jun 04, 2023
EDU 210 - Cultural Diversity in Education
Description: Prepares potential teachers to examine how race, ethnicity, and cultural differences influence students' experiences in school. Assists teachers in implementing a multicultural approach to teaching by fostering critical thinking and identifying effective teaching styles and practices for a diverse student population. This course requires 10 face-to-face observation hours in a k-12 setting.
Prerequisites: Reading Proficiency
- Critical thinking concepts.
- Diverse nature of society.
- Historical events that have impacted multicultural students.
- Current cultural issues that impacting teaching and learning.
- Appropriate teaching methods to meet the needs of diverse students.
- Describe the elements of the critical thinking process. (1)
- Describe the culturally diverse nature of society (2).
- Identify historical events that have impacted multicultural and minority students. (3)
- Construct pertinent questions based on current issues that impact culturally diverse students. (4)
- Create effective solutions to problems related to multicultural education. (4)
- Define the concept of multicultural education and its implementation in the public school classroom. (5)
- Design lesson plans that utilize best practices, including critical thinking, to foster cultural diversity in the classroom. (5)
- 10 observation hours.