Jun 04, 2023
SOC 220 - Introduction to Social Work
Description: Survey of social work as a profession and social welfare as an institution. Social work: historical development, principles, philosophy, and practices.
Prerequisites: ANT 102 or PSY 101 or PSY 245 or SOC 101.
General Education Competency: Written Communication
- Introduction to the field of social work
- History of social welfare institutions
- Nature and characteristic of the profession: value base, knowledge base, skill base
- Fields of practice
- Major concerns of social work
- Current developments in social work
- Perspectives for the future
- Define social work, social welfare, and social services. (1)
- Distinguish social work from the other helping professions. (3)
- Demonstrate knowledge of the history and philosophy of social work. (2,3)
- Identify methods of social work practice in the delivery of service of social welfare programs. (5,6)
- Identify the services and programs of the major fields of practice. (4,5,6)
- Demonstrate an understanding of the dynamic nature of social work and social welfare. (5,6)
- Formulate a perspective toward the future of social work as a viable profession. (7)
- Employ thoughtful and precise writing (a minimum of 1500 words), critical reasoning, and analytical discourse through assigned writing tasks, essay examinations, journals, and/or research papers.