Mar 21, 2023
ENG 101A - College Composition I with Writing Skills Review
Description: Composing expository and argumentative essays for specific audiences. Emphasis on the processes of writing, reading and critical thinking. Introduction to research and documentation. Development of active reading skills. Intensive review of essay form and conventions of standard written English.
Prerequisites: ENG 095 or satisfactory score on the skills assessment or placement using Multiple Measures chart. Reading Proficiency.
General Education Competency: Written Communication
- Essay Content
- Organization and structure
- Purpose and audience
- Grammar and punctuation
- Write thesis statements. (1)
- Develop and select details. (1)
- Develop organizational strategies. (2)
- Apply logical development strategies reflecting knowledge about a topic. (2)
- Demonstrate purpose and audience awareness. (3)
- Select and apply voice. (3)
- Apply sentence structure strategies. (4)
- Incorporate varied and appropriate vocabulary. (4)
- Apply conventions of standard written English. (5)
- Identify main idea and support in sources. (6)
- Document sources. (6)
- A minimum of 4500 words of monitored student writing.