Nov 30, 2023
AJS 260 - Procedural Criminal Law
Description: Procedural criminal law. Emphasis on rationale underlying major court holdings, the resulting procedural requirements, and the effect on the daily operations of the criminal justice system.
- Historical overview of the United States judicial system
b. Supreme Court
c. Constitutional amendments
- Police procedures
c. search and seizure
- Trial procedures
a. pretrial process
b. trial process
c. sentencing process
- Juvenile Justice System
- Summarize the development and the role of the United States Constitution and the United States Supreme Court in determining procedural requirements for the criminal justice system.
- Describe the concepts of judicial review and judicial interpretation.
- Define the first, fourth, fifth, sixth, eighth, and fourteenth amendments to the constitution and explain their significance to procedural criminal law.
- Analyze major cases and procedural requirements related to arrest, interrogation, and search and seizure by law enforcement.
- Outline the steps in the pretrial, trial, and sentencing processes.
- Analyze major cases and procedural requirements related to the pretrial, trial, and sentencing processes.
- Analyze and define major cases and procedural requirements related to corrections procedures including probation, parole, and prison.
- Identify and define major cases and procedural requirements related to the juvenile justice system.
- Explain appellate jurisdiction and outline the appeal process.