Dec 01, 2023
ASL 201 - Intermediate American Sign Language I
Description: Proficiency and development of intermediate expressive and receptive skills. Emphasis on practical application of American Sign Language skills and cross-cultural communication.
Prerequisites: ASL 102
- Selected colloquial ASL signs and idiomatic expressions
- Narratives, dialogues, daily situations, and spontaneous conversations at the intermediate level
- Sign settings (e.g. formal vs. informal, small group discussions and dialogues
- Expressive and receptive mastery of ASL grammatical features at the intermediate level
- Increased exposure to the deaf community and its culture
- List and translate colloquial ASL and English signs and idiomatic expressions.
- Respond to unanticipated questions on familiar topics.
- Express opinions about familiar topics.
- Comprehend main ideas and extended discourse on increasingly complex topics.
- Apply ASL skills in communicating short stories, narratives, and dialogues at the intermediate level.
- Apply expressive and receptive mastery of grammatical features of ASL at the intermediate level.
- Describe norms, values and beliefs of deaf culture.