Sep 30, 2023
PSY 238 - Psychology of Play
Description: Importance of play on cognitive, physical, social, and emotional development throughout the lifespan. Exploration of the benefits of play with respect to fostering creativity, personal expression, and a sense of well being. Appreciation of play activities as a reflection of culture, gender, and social class.
Prerequisites: Reading Proficiency.
- Purpose and benefits of play
- Creative process and personal expression
- Solitary and social play
- Play activities as a reflection of culture, gender, and social class
- Promotion of play leadership
- Describe the impact of play on cognitive, physical, social, and emotional development throughout the lifespan. (1)
- Identify the significant role of play on the creative process and personal expression. (2)
- Compare and contrast the psychological and social implications of solitary and social play. (3)
- Analyze the cultural, gender, and social implications of play activities. (4)
- Develop and implement a specific plan of promoting the importance of play through advocacy and/or service. (5)
- Demonstrate thoughtful and precise writing skills by completing at least 1500 words of monitored writing.