Nov 29, 2023
SOC 140 - Sociology of Intimate Relationships and Family
Description: Study of relationships and family life, interpersonal attraction, dating and committed partnerships, relationships and household dynamics, parenting decisions, relationship longevity or dissolution.
Prerequisites: Reading Proficiency.
- Changing Families
- families past & present
- public debates & private lives
- diversity in families (gender, race/ethnicity, social class)
- Differing expectations & experiences by gender
- changing gender roles
- love, sexuality & society
- dating & relationship commitment
- dissolution & re-partnerships
- Exploring challenges & solutions
- work and family
- parenting issues
- dimensions of diversity (gender, race/ethnicity, social class)
- conflict in relationships (communication, stress, violence)
- Identify and explain dynamics of interpersonal & family relationships that have a direct impact on one's own life experience.
- Discuss the diverse customs, attitudes, values and expectations (by gender, race/ethnicity, social class, etc.) that affect our relationships with others.
- Strategize and explore solutions for common relationship challenges.
- Demonstrate thoughtful and precise writing skills by completing at least 1500 words of monitored writing.