Nov 29, 2023
SOC 101 - Introduction to Sociology SOC 1101.
Description: Study of human behavior from the sociological perspective. Areas of emphasis include society, culture, social structure, social institutions, socialization, and forms of social stratification.
General Education Competency: Diversity
- The sociological imagination.
- History and development of sociology.
- Methods of sociological research.
- Theoretical paradigms in sociology.
- Nature of society and the role of culture.
- Influence of social structure and social institutions on human behavior.
- Nature, nurture, and the socialization process.
- Forms of social stratification and social class in America.
- Human diversity (Race, Ethnicity, Gender)
- Explain the sociological imagination and cite examples that illustrate the significance of this perspective in understanding human behavior.
- Review the historical development of sociology and discuss the contributions of key figures in the field.
- Explain research methodology.
- Evaluate the relevant perspectives, paradigms, arguments or theories.
- Compare and contrast human societies throughout history and analyze the impact of these societies on human behavior.
- Examine the elements of social structure and culture and explain how they influence human behavior.
- Describe the basic social institutions and explain how these institutions influence human behavior.
- Examine the role of nature and nurture in human behavior.
- Analyze social stratification and social class.
- Explain how human diversity contributes to different perspectives.
- Define the relevant terminology and apply it to problems or issues.
- Demonstrate thoughtful and precise writing skills by completing at least 1500 words of monitored writing.