Credit Hours Required: 62
The vision for the Teacher Preparation Program at Yavapai College is one of a quality program that adapts to the dynamic needs of students, children, their families and the community.
The YC Teacher Education Program serves:
- Students interested in pursuing careers in teaching in public and private infant-grade 12 schools and Child Care Centers.
- Students who transfer to four year programs in Early Childhood/Elementary Education or Secondary Education.
- In-service teachers seeking to improve their teaching skills through additional coursework and/or professional development activities.
The Associate of Arts in Elementary Education degree requires completion of 62 credit hours. This degree is designed for students interested in elementary education who are preparing to transfer to one of the Arizona public universities to complete a baccalaureate program and qualify for an Arizona teaching certificate.
Students preparing to transfer to an upper-division baccalaureate degree program should contact an advisor in the major field of study at the transfer institution in addition to meeting regularly with a faculty advisor and/or academic advisor at Yavapai College.
Regular advisement is important to build an educational plan and ensure transferability of general education, elective, and major courses.
Note: The Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC-A) is embedded in the Associate of Arts in Elementary Education degree. Upon completion of all 35 credit hours (including the Special Requirements) of the AGEC with a grade of "C" or higher, the student will receive recognition of completion on the transcript and guaranteed transferability of the AGEC upon admission to one of the state universities in Arizona.
Students must complete a course from each of the following AGEC Special Awareness areas:
- Intensive Writing/Critical Inquiry (IWR)
- Ethnic/Race/Gender (ERG) awareness
- Global/International or Historical (GIH) awareness
∞Note: This program can be completed entirely online. Not all general education options or major and elective studies are offered online, however there will be a variety of online classes from which to choose in order to meet the requirements.