Dec 03, 2021
PHT 100 - Fundamentals of Pharmacy Technology
Description: Overview of basic sciences including microbiology and chemistry. Introduction to major drug classifications, dosage forms, and routes of administration. Medical terminology and abbreviations.
Prerequisites: Program admission. Reading proficiency.
Corequisite: PHT 110 .
- Basic microbiology
- Basic chemistry
- Medical terminology
- Methods and routes of drug administration
- Drug classifications
- Drug abbreviations
- Trade and generic drug names
- Common herbal remedies
- Define the major classifications of organisms (taxonomy). (1)
- Discuss the history of antibiotics and how they are used. (1,2)
- Identify common viruses and the diseases they cause. (1)
- Utilize basic principles of chemistry as they relate to the composition and use of medications. (2)
- Define pharmacy-related medical terminology. (3)
- List the most common forms of medications and how they are administered. (4)
- Describe the five major drug classifications. (5)
- Interpret and use pharmaceutical abbreviations. (6)
- Recognize the trade and generic names of frequently prescribed medications. (7)
- Discuss the implications of herbal remedies and their potential drug interactions. (8)