Jan 23, 2022
ENG 237 - Women in Literature
Description: Survey of women in literature from ancient Greece to present with emphasis on images of female protagonists as portrayed by male and female authors.
Prerequisites: ENG 101 or ENG 103 . Reading Proficiency.
General Education Competency: Written Communication; Diversity
- Characteristic elements of literature (theme, figurative language, characterization) and introduction to genres (essay, poetry, short story, novel)
- Tools and methods of literary criticism and scholarly research
- Geographical, historical, and social influences on women's literature including issues of race, gender, class, ethnicity, and sexuality
- Historical portraits of women from selected time periods with emphasis on images of female protagonists as portrayed by male and female writers
- Archetypal approach to the study of portraits of women by male and female writers
- Define key literary terms, and apply them to the study of selected works of women's literature from a variety of genres. (1)
- Apply the tools and methods of literary criticism and scholarly research to selected works of women's literature. (2)
- Discuss and analyze geographical, historical, and social influences on women's literature, including issues of race, gender, class, ethnicity, and sexuality. (3)
- Analyze historical portrayals of female protagonists in literature. (4)
- Identify the various archetypal patterns of women throughout history and literary periods. (5)
- Demonstrate thoughtful and precise writing skills by completing at least 2500 words of monitored writing. A minimum of 1500 of the 2500 words will be in the form of a scholarly essay.