Apr 22, 2021
THR 250 - American Cinema
Description: Survey of American film as an art form, an industry, and a system of representation and communication. Technical, aesthetic, and cultural aspects of cinema and the reading of film as a means for communicating American ideals, values and attitudes. This course is cross-listed with HUM 250 .
Prerequisites: ENG 101 or ENG 103
- Development of the American film industry
- Film vocabulary
- Cinematic art and technology
- Hollywood film genres
- Film analysis and critique
- Identify the key events of American film history from the silent cinema to the present day. (1)
- Use the basic technical and critical vocabulary of motion pictures. (2)
- Analyze the relationship between the technologies of cinema and film art. (3)
- Explain the role of genre in American film history as it relates to the expression of American ideals, values and identity. (4)
- Analyze and critique American films. (5)
- Demonstrate thoughtful and precise writing skills by completing at least 2500 words.