Individuals eligible to receive Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits must complete and submit all required VA and Yavapai College documents to VET Services. Processing may take weeks, so early planning and class registration is highly recommended. Note: Students seeking to use Military Tuition Assistance (TA) as a method of payment should contact the Bursar's Office at 928-776-2138 or email@example.com. Information about TA can be found online at www.yc.edu/bills.
To begin using a VA education benefits at Yavapai College, the student must submit a signed VET Services Start-Up application and a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for the specific VA education benefit to be used. In addition, an online written request is required from the student each semester upon registering for classes to indicate their intent to use their benefits. Instructions can be found at www.yc.edu/veterans.
Students using VA education benefits are eligible to sign up for an interest-free payment plan each semester to defer the cost of tuition, fees and books. They may also be eligible for other types of financial aid such as Pell Grant and scholarships, and are encouraged to apply through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Instructions for the Veterans Payment Plan are available by logging into the MyYC student portal.
In accordance with 38 USC 3679(e), students using a benefit under Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 will not be penalized for failing to meet their financial obligations to the college as a result of a delay in VA payments to the school for benefits-payable costs. Students are otherwise responsible for making payment according to their Veterans Payment Plan and other applicable college policies.
Important guidelines for using VA education benefits:
- VA education benefits may only be used for classes that fulfill requirements on an approved degree or certificate program.Rare exceptions may exist for students using benefits under Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment (VRE). In addition, special rules may be applicable to specific programs of study, in accordance with VA and state regulations.
- VA requires students to order an official transcript from each college, university, and technical school previously attended, and from their military branch. Official transcripts must be sent directly from each school to Yavapai College Office of the Registrar, 1100 E. Sheldon Street, Prescott, Arizona, 86301.
- Students must maintain good academic standing in accordance with Yavapai College Standards of Academic Progress.
- A student may be required to repay an overpayment of benefits to the VA resulting from repeated courses (previously completed at YC or through transfer credit) or for withdrawn courses. When in doubt about a particular situation, it is important to consult VET Services proactively to avoid potential benefits overpayment.
- Students should immediately notify VET Services of any enrollment changes to avoid or minimize potential benefits overpayment. After the start of the term, consultation with VET Services before making schedule changes is strongly recommended.
- Taking classes of varying lengths can impact a student's benefit payments over the course of the semester. VET Services staff are available to help students plan classes for consistent monthly benefit payments where possible.
Free college prep courses are available to veterans and military-affiliated students seeking to refresh or improve their academic skills without affecting their remaining benefits entitlement. Core academic subjects including mathematics, writing, and reading-provided by the Adult Basic Education program-are designed to prepare students for college-level coursework. Interested students should contact VET Services at www.yc.edu/veterans to discuss individual needs for these and other services.
Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act enables covered individuals (veterans and/or family members) to be eligible for in-state tuition rates. Visit the VA's website at: https://www.va.gov/resources/in-state-tuition-rates-under-the-veterans-choice-act/.
For more information call 928.717.7613, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit online at www.yc.edu/veterans.