Jun 08, 2023
MAT 212 - Topics in Calculus MAT 2212.
Description: Introduction to the theory and techniques of differential and integral calculus of elementary functions with emphasis on applications in business and finance. Note: Computer use and graphing calculator required (TI-83/84 recommended).
Prerequisites: MAT 152 or satisfactory score on mathematics skills assessment.
General Education Competency: Quantitative Literacy
- Limits and continuity
- Definition and visualization of the derivative
- Basic techniques of differentiation
- Application of derivatives in business and finance
- Definition and visualization of an integral
- Basic techniques of integration
- The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
- Applications of integration in business and finance
- Compute limits. (1)
- Apply limits to determine if a function is continuous. (1)
- Compute derivatives using the rules of differentiation. (3)
- Analyze functions from business using marginal analysis and derivatives. (2,3,4)
- Apply differentiation to optimize functions from business and finance. (3,4)
- Compute definite and indefinite integrals using basic integration techniques. (6)
- Compute the total change in a function from its marginal function. (5,7,8)