Dec 07, 2023
MAT 167 - Elementary Statistics MAT 1160.
Description: Statistical tools and techniques used in research and general applications. Description of sample data, probability and probability distributions, point and interval estimates of population parameters, hypothesis testing, and correlation and regression. Note: Statistics technology is required.
Prerequisites: MAT 141 , MAT 142 , MAT 152 , or satisfactory score on mathematics skills assessment.
- Descriptive statistics (graphs, measures of center, measures of variability)
- Probability (basic rules, conditional)
- Probability Distributions (Normal, Student's t, Chi-squared)
- Research design
- Statistical Literacy (read and interpret published results)
- Central Limit Theorem and sampling distributions
- Confidence intervals (one and two sample)
- Hypotheses testing (one and two sample, categorical)
- Regression and correlation
- Statistics technology
- Use numerical and graphical methods to describe data. (1,10)
- Compute and interpret measures of central tendency and variability. (1,10)
- Compute probabilities for both simple and compound events. (2,10)
- Use probability distributions (normal, student's t and Chi squared) to solve probability problems. (3,10)
- Estimate population parameters using confidence intervals. (6,7,10)
- Interpret components of published research results. (4,5)
- Perform hypothesis tests about population parameters. (6,8,10)
- Test hypothesis about categorical data. (8,10)
- Create regression models for bivariate data (9,10)
- Use technology to perform statistical analysis. (10)