Jun 09, 2023
FSC 225 - Legal Aspects of Emergency Services
Description: Federal, state, and local laws that regulate, and national standards that influence, emergency services. Includes standard care, tort, liability and consensus standards as they pertain to emergency services.
- Legal system of the United States: foundations and Constitution
- Civil vs. criminal - differences, lawsuits, punishments and burden of proof.
- Tort liability
- Judicial systems: U.S. Supreme Court, special courts, local courts and their penalties
- Federal laws and the fire service including the Fair Labor Standards Act, American Disabilities Act, age discrimination, civil rights and sexual harassment
- Employee relations, standards for physical testing, residency, grooming, promotions, psychological examinations and polygraphs
- Fire prevention and fire codes, Fourth Amendment, certifications, building code vs. fire code
- Mutual aid
- Hazardous materials
- Volunteers/contracts, At-will doctrine
- Define the different types of laws. (1-3, 5, 8)
- Discuss Federal, State, and local laws and liabilities applicable to emergency services. (2-5, 8-12)
- Explain the purpose of national codes and standards. (6-8)
- Discuss applicable court decisions that have influenced emergency services. (2-6, 9)
- Discuss the legal issues and concerns affecting emergency services. (1-3, 5, 8)
Pre- and Post-test.