Jun 08, 2023
LAW 100 - Introduction to Paralegal Studies
Description: Introduction to the role of the paralegal in the legal system, including the federal and state court systems, ethics, regulation and professional responsibility, legal analysis, research and basic legal concepts. Includes professional development and job search strategies.
1. Introduction to the paralegal profession
2. Careers in the legal community
3. The regulation of legal professionals
4. Ethics and professional responsibility
5. Introduction to law
b. Court system and alternative dispute resolution
c. Fundamental legal concepts
6. Civil and criminal litigation and procedures
7. Legal analysis and writing
8. Legal research
- Describe the American judicial system and the responsibilities of the various court systems.
- Distinguish between civil and criminal litigation, and describe the stages of litigation.
- Describe and explain basic concepts of law.
- Apply legal analysis to the briefing of cases and problem solving.
- Define the issues of the paralegal profession, and discuss professional development and job search strategies.
- Apply principles of ethics and professional responsibility to specific scenarios.