Dec 07, 2023
MAT 142 - College Mathematics MAT 1142.
Description: Topics and applications in counting, probability, statistics, dimensional analysis, mathematical modeling, and consumer mathematics. Note: Computer use and graphing calculator required (TI-83/84 recommended).
Prerequisites: MAT 092 or a satisfactory score on the mathematics skills assessment.
General Education Competency: Quantitative Literacy
- Introduction to counting
- Introduction to probability
- Introduction to descriptive statistics and the normal distribution
- Dimensional analysis
- Mathematical models of growth and decay
- Consumer mathematics
- Apply the fundamental counting principle, combinations and permutations to applications involving counting. (1)
- Compute empirical and theoretical probabilities of simple and compound events. (2)
- Compute conditional probabilities in applications. (2)
- Analyze graphical and numerical summaries of data, including measures of central tendency and dispersion. (3)
- Use the basic properties of the normal curve to solve applied problems. (3)
- Use dimensional analysis to make conversions within and between metric and U.S. measurement systems. (4)
- Create and apply linear, quadratic and exponential models. (5)
- Compute quantities involved in simple and compound interest. (6)
- Compute quantities involved in annuities and mortgages. (6)
- Compute quantities involved in credit card and consumer loans. (6)