Oct 03, 2023
PSY 175 - Counseling Skills
Description: Principles and practices which underlie the effective and ethical use of the helping relationship in human services.
- The helping relationship
- Helper development
- Normative and non-normative crises
- Values and ethics in the helping relationship
- Developmental processes of helping
- Models of helping
- Communication skills in helping
- Goal-setting in helping
- Management of stress in helping
- Special topics: drugs, prejudice, violence against women, etc.Explain the concepts and values that provide a basis for paraprofessional helping relationships
- Examine and critically evaluate ethical standards in the helping relationship.
- Explore problem areas that are often encountered in helping relationships
- Identify the stages and steps in helping and apply specific counseling principles.
- Evaluate and explore normative and non-normative crises as opportunities for helping.
- Apply supportive and directive models in the helping relationship.
- Explore and apply the concept of self-preservation in the helping professions