Oct 01, 2023
PSY 250 - Social Psychology
Description: The study of how our thoughts, feelings, and actions are affected by our social environment. Emphasis on prejudice, conformity, altruism, interpersonal interaction, and the influence of the media.
Prerequisites: PSY 101
- History, issues, and methods
- Theories: psychoanalytic, cognitive, behavioral/social learning, and ethological
- Attitude formation and change
- The effects of the media
- Social determinants of self-concept
- Compare and contrast observational, correlational, and experimental methods and how they are applied to gain an understanding of social influence.
- Examine and critically evaluate theories of social psychology: learning theory (cognitive/social-learning theory), the psychoanalytic, and humanistic perspectives.
- Analyze the situational and social pressures that affect such social behaviors as aggression, altruism, prejudice, person perception, love, and conformity.
- Identify and analyze the effects of the media on attitudes, values, and behavior.
- Describe the impact of social pressures in group decision making.
- Formulate and test a hypothesis using appropriate research techniques.
- Demonstrate thoughtful and precise writing skills by completing at least 1500 words of monitored writing.