Jun 10, 2023
EXW 150 - Essentials of Athletic Injury Management and Prevention
Description: Introduction to the essentials of prevention and management of athletic and active related injuries and illnesses. Includes utilizing primary, secondary and focused assessment and recognition of athletic injuries, prevention concepts such as pre-participation exams, protective equipment standards etc. and overall basic athletic injury and illness management.
- Roles and responsibilities of the coaching staff and the overall sports medicine team
- Basic anatomy and physiology of athletic injuries
- Preventing and minimizing sports related injuries and illnesses
- Recognition and management of athletic related injuries and illnesses
- Emergency care of specific sports related illnesses and injuries
- Recognize different roles and responsibilities of personnel in the sports medicine care team. (1)
- Apply preventative techniques for minimizing athletic related injuries. (2, 3)
- Explain legal and ethical issues related to athletic injuries. (1)
- Identify basic anatomical structures and physiology as they pertain to the prevention and management of athletic injuries. (2-5)
- Apply necessary techniques of injury management as it relates to athletic injuries. (2, 4, 5)
- Prescribe physical conditioning activities and nutritional counseling appropriate for athletes. (1, 3)
- Explain basic evaluation principles such as primary, secondary and focused assessments. (2, 4, 5)
- Final research paper with a minimum of 1250 words. Must address mechanism of injury, anatomy of injury, management of injury and prevention of injury.