Nov 29, 2023
ENG 245 - Ethnic Literature of the Southwest
Description: Examination of literature by a variety of ethnic groups in the American Southwest across multiple genres, time periods, and geographic regions. This will include Indigenous literature and Chicano/a literature.
Prerequisites: ENG 101 or ENG 101A or ENG 103. Reading Proficiency.
General Education Competency: Written Communication
- Characteristic elements of literature and introduction to genres
- Tools and methods of literary criticism and scholarly research
- Geographical, historical, and social influences on ethnic literature of the Southwest including issues of race, gender, class, ethnicity, and sexuality
- Features of the American Southwest that influence literary works
- Define key literary terms and apply them to the study of selected works of ethnic literature of the Southwest from a variety of genres. (1)
- Apply the tools and methods of literary criticism and scholarly research to selected works of ethnic literature of the Southwest. (2)
- Analyze geographical, historical, and social influences on ethnic literature of the Southwest, including issues of race, gender, class, ethnicity, and sexuality. (3)
- Analyze how features of the American Southwest influence literary works from a variety of ethnic groups. (4)
- 2500 words of monitored writing.