Sep 23, 2023
ENG 205 - Children's and Young Adult Literature
Description: Study of children's and young adult (YA) literature from a variety of world cultures. Includes the history, literary elements, and evaluation of folk tales, fables, children's picture and illustrated books, and young adult novels. Also includes analysis of banned and diverse novels.
Prerequisites: ENG 101 , ENG 101A , or ENG 103 . Reading Proficiency.
General Education Competency: Written Communication; Diversity
- History of the genre
- Key influences and contributors to children's and young adult literature
- Tools and methods of evaluation, literary criticism, and scholarly research
- Geographical, historical, and social influences on children's and young adult literature, including issues of race, gender, and sexuality
- Evaluate children and young adult literature trends and popularity across time and cultures (1, 2, 4)
- Survey subgenres within young adult literature (2, 4)
- Apply literary criteria (plot, characterization, settings, style, point of view, theme, tone) to children and young adult literature. (3, 4)
- Analyze common cultural issues and perspectives presented in young adult literature (2-4)
- At least 2500 words of monitored essay writing.